Life is...all the emotions, all the people you meet, all your regrets and all your dreams come true. This is my life is...well, my life's not boring. It's my experiences and the people that I come into contact with that make my life not boring. Enjoy!
"People say that what we're all seeking is a meaning in life. I don't think that's what we're really seeking. I think that what we're seeking is an experience in being alive..." ~Joseph Campbell




E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Hey guys! Hope all is well with everyone today. I have a couple of things that I could write about and even now, I'm debating over which one (world issues and the Live8/one.org, girls and relationships, spiritual matters).

...

I think I'm going to do a mix of relationships and spiritual matters...

So I was reading off this guy friend's website. This girl posted something like "i don't fall in love with guys right away" and "God will take care of it", yada yada yada. You get the idea, and worse, you've probably heard it a few times, maybe ever used the God excuse. Let me say this off before I get going here. This is my thought with God and relationships: I think you know if you're ready for a relationship, whether the person is worth dating or has characteristics you want in a person, and just whether or not you should be in one period. When it comes to relationship and involving God, I don't feel this intrinsic need to pray about it, because God gave me a brain, desires, feelings, and from these God gifts, I aught to be able to discern if there is compatibility or not, whether this relationship will be mutually beneficial. There are other things too I think, but this is the gist of what I want to touch on.

I can't count the times when I've heard Christians say, "God's telling me to wait", "I"ll pray about it" (my personal favorite), "God will show me the right person"...and so on, They go on.

And any time I hear these things, I wonder, "have you lost your ability to function as a human being?" If you can't tell whether a person is good or not, you haven't been around them long enough. If you don't think you're ready for a relationship, or whether a particular person is someone you want to get into a relationship with, then just don't. Existence doesn't stop if you're not in a relationship with someone (although after a while, it feels like it). And saying "God will take care of it" does not absolve you from participating in looking for someone. This one gets me every time. As if God is now a matchmaker and you have no part to play in your life anymore. That's just lazy.

Folks, if you want to involve God in your relationships, great. Just don't expect God to do all the work. He created you for a certain reason, with certain likes and dis-likes, what works for you and what doesn't, and I think we all know what those things are for each of us. If you don't, there are personality tests and classes and books by experts that you can read up on. Maybe this whole declaration makes me some sort of agnostic Christian, but at least I'm not living in a fantasy world, where God just comes down and anoints my life, makes everything perfect, happily ever after. I'd bet most of these folks that run so adimantly to God when the relationship starts feel a little less inclined to do so when things go wrong.

God will prosper you, but he's not going to beam sunshine up your ass. That's not how things work. You take what's good, what's bad, and you go on. Life doesn't stop when things are amazing, or when it sucks. That's life.

So am I happy with my life and relationships? Not really, but I don't blame God for that.

As always, I don't know if I said everything I wanted to say, but if you have some thoughts, post'em. At least that lets me know one person is reading!

Shalom and bis später!


2 Responses to “”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Jason. . . miss you man! Got some great thoughts here! It's crazy that another friend and I were discussing this same subject tonight. I like to think of human beings as co-creators instead of passive pawns. It makes sense, but somehow Christians hold on to these undefined abstract concepts of God and let those determine their life. . . or rather passivity. Most person's theology needs a makeover, BAD, because it just doesn't hold together. Way to get 'em by the shorthairs!

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    WOOO!!! Yeah! I have always believed that the idea that God has "someone for everyone" was crap and unbiblical. When God doesn't promise us our next breath, I found that obligating God to promise us a mate - definitely auxillary - did not align with Biblical testimony or sound theology.

    However, I must say that the current relationship I am definitely came out of nowhere. I don't know how you perceived me last summer, but I'd like to think that I was content with singleness and wasn't "looking" for a relationship. This girl is my first girlfriend, unless you want to count 8th grade, and we're about to celebrate 6 months of dating after going through: being robbed, school stress, and being apart from each other for 2 months. God has been all up in this, but it hasn't been flaky.

    I think singles need a theology that acknowledges the fact that they are complete in themselves and their union with God, and they can do amazing things with all the time that they have. And a theology that doesn't encourage idle/pitiful "looking" and "waiting on God." I bet God's waiting for them to get their heads out of their asses and do kingdom work. And I can say this, because I used to say those same things. But once I got content w/my singleness and focused on developing who I was, then this amazing girl came into my life and we decided to date after 3 months of friendship

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Jason
  • From Marburg, Hessen, Germany
  • Living in Germany right now. Words can't express well or fast enough the experience I've had. I'm enjoying every minute of it (except the homework part). As far as personal info, you probably know me, so there's no need for useless junk you already know!
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3